Monday 30 May 2011

A case of bad wind

I've been out in the relentless drizzle for two hours now and at times like this I wish it was my day job. Gardening in the rain is hugely satisfying, as you get gradually soaked but don't care because the air feels fresh, the garden shines and if you're the type who talks to plants I imagine you can almost feel the euphoria as they indulge in their equivalent of a wet t-shirt competition.

So if you're reading this curled up in a blanket waiting for the British summer before you clear the debris from the soil you should know by now that it came and went over Easter so haul your backside out there.

However, wind is a different beast altogether. It's no fun gardening in even the lightest breeze. It stresses out the plants, scatters petals, leaves and baby produce all over the place and messes up your hair.

The petals and leaves cover your finely-tilled growing space, but it's the destruction of the young that is most distressing.  I gathered up what would have made some fine apples and pears, but after a few days lying distraught on the ground are now shrivelled and decaying:


Destroyed by vindictive gusts, that pass through with little thought for the carnage left behind, the brutality of the elements claim their victims. Not that I'm bitter...

No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.