Sunday 12 June 2011

Broad beans are amazing

This weekend I picked my first broad beans of the year. I'd completely forgotten everything discovered last year about them, and its time to pay a quick homage to this iron rich stalwart of the bean world.

I can't hang about because I'm making broad bean risotto (thank you to Claire at Food4Two for the recipe) but just had to share the genius of the pod. Once you pick your beans - mine were about 8 inches in length (yeah baby)- prize them open. You'll be greeted by delicate jewels individually cushioned in what can only be described as candy floss.



I've never bought them from a supermarket or even greengrocers, so it would be good to know if this is standard? But as far as a design classic goes, this has to be up there with the best in terms of attention to detail. Respect to the bean.

Damn it my onions are burning

2 comments:

Esther Montgomery said...

I really, really don't like broad beans. I have to leave the room if they are cooking, the smell is so nausiating - but that soft, white cushion inside the pod truly is amazing. It's why I always wish I liked them..

Esther

Hanzy said...

They are lovely aren't they! The fluff is standard, if you don't like them i recommend "double" podding them - taking them out of the fluff then further removing the "white" jacket bit too as that is the more bitter part and the inside is just like raw peas or edemame beans. Nom nom.

Mine are long gone I eat them young, ha ha.

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.