Monday 11 July 2011

Flower power

I'm really not into flowers. I find it odd that people become obsessed by them, particularly those individuals who get featured on gardeners world because each year they grow nothing but one type of flower creating new species each year. Really, honestly, there is more to life. So much more.

Last year, my mum supplied all my flowers. Or so I thought. I didn't really pay attention to the flowering shrubs in my garden, which this year have started to create a never ending synchronised display.  It started with a little white number that brought in the bees and no doubt gave my raspberries the bumble kick start they needed:

If you look closely, under the top green leaf is a bee - I promise!
Then, in a move of shock and awe, the buddleia came into full bloom.


Perhaps the problem I have with flowers it that they're often attention seekers, the peacocks of the flora world. So it often takes just one little charmer to tug at you and say, look, I'm actually very sweet and worth having around. As I discovered this morning from this little rascal


Awww

No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.