Saturday 9 July 2011

Issues of gravity

We all know what happens if you don't get the right support. Gravity takes control.

A force of such manipulation and evil, it shows about as much mercy as a media baron with its cancerous red-top. Once it takes hold there is no stopping it. You know its existence is necessary so you end up accepting that this is the way it has to be, even if it pains you to do so, even if you know the world could be so much better if only it wasn't so powerful (who here has always wanted to be able to fly?)

To my cost these past weeks I have found out what happens if you don't get the right support. You have to direct all your energy to protecting yourself and fighting the things, and the people, that pull you down. It has brought a halt to my gardening and indeed my writing.

Without my gardening, my veg has not had the support it has needed either. With more to come, I'll start off with the cherry and normal tomatoes. After writing about my fear of a ripening harvest I confess the thought of trying them started to appeal - the thrill of a challenge perhaps?

I started them off in the grow house until they were over 4 inches or so and then planted them out by canes. I only knew that they would grow up and fairly tall but in the rush of the modern world I neglected to read up on planting out. I didn't tie them to the canes, hoping they would find a natural means of attaching themselves much like beans and sqaushes do.

But no:


The canes in the background to the left are the support, the green leaves pushing and shoving to get to the front, to pose for the camera are my tomatoes at the moment. Aching to grow, tethered by an unseen force rather than a dedicated support. Granted, I made a feeble effort at providing them with the help they needed and so I must learn from this. If anyone has any tomato tips, please post them!

If they make it to fruit, then it shows that despite being unsupported, some still have the strength to survive...photos to come will show that they are the lucky ones...

No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.