Monday 11 March 2013

Thyme's up

Herbs. Every cookbook advocates a windowsill bristling with all manner of fragrances vying for your roasting tin's attention.

There's no doubt a handful of the good stuff can turn a limp chicken into a proud co...er hen adorning Sunday's table.


On Friday, the lovely team at Unearthed food got in touch to share their pain. Thyme had literally run out. (Click me)

I feel for them. They have been enthusiastically trying out all manner of windowsill grow-your-own projects in the depths of winter. Me? I've been resting on my laurels, safe in the knowledge my bay tree is the gift that keeps giving, and the rosemary I planted out 2 years ago in the shade is somehow hanging on to plump my potatoes on a weekly basis.

Except this can't go on. I'm planning to move house, find a new garden, and these herbs aren't going to come with me. I need to get potting.

So, Susie and the team @unearthed, this morning I have potted some Thyme for my window sill, and every day this week I'll pot something new. I promise. Even if I'm hungover, suffering from long days at work, or have been on a punishing row through Bristol's Harbourside.

5 days, 5 pots. 

Well, 10 pots. See, I've got a collection of tin cans from my neighbour and I want to see what, if anything I can grow in them.  


I'm hoping this will kick start my growing year. There is a danger Spring will pass me by, that May will come and all that veg potential will be missed.

If you too need a kick up the cock-a-doodle-do then join me, 10 minutes each morning. A pot, seeds, compost and water. Beats Daybreak.







No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.