Wednesday 27 April 2011

Easy as 1,2, Pea

Oh god that was a bad title. Sorry.

Purely for this post I've just spent a few minutes potting up some peas and taking pics. In fact, the post has taken longer than the potting.


People that know me are aware of my 'issues' with peas. I have similar problems allowing mushrooms, raw tomatoes and sweetcorn anywhere near my mouth. But last year I was bold and grew some peas with the intention of eating them. 



So in 7 photos you'll be witnessing what I failed to appreciate in 3 decades of my life and the journey I've just been on (surely a cue for Christina Aguilera in the background?). So it's not only fun. It's therapy.

Get out your compost
Peat free and formulated
for seed germination.
Apparently
















Get out your pots and seeds


Glove not necessary, unless
you fear compost












Fill the pots with compost most of the way and make a thumb print for the seed. Drop in a pea. Take a photo.










Cover with a bit more compost, water and place in the sun, in grow house or on a window sill. In April, I think it's best if they have some protection from the elements in case of late frost/cold nights

After 2 and a half weeks

Planted 8 April in growhouse













After 7 and a half weeks






Planted 11 March.
The plants send out tough little string type things
that grip as tight as a toddler holding your little finger
on whatever is nearby. I used canes to help them out.























The green nuggets that await



Last year's chicharitos

















I gave peas a cha...
no, sorry that's too corny





No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.